Posts tagged Installation
Since the first time heard about XBMC Media Player from many users who experienced it and said amazing things about it, I decided to get my self an Acer Revo device to be prepared as a Media Player as mentioned in this link. Which I believe is the best resource if you want to do the same.
Recently I’ve been reading a lot of good reviews about installing XBMC on Apple TV 2 after jailbreaking it.
Will, my experience with Apple TV 2 was really total different experience, since I noticed that it gives much better colors and better control since Apple Remote is utilized properly.
For installing XBMC I followed the below steps:
Jailbreak your Apple TV 2 by doing the following:
- iTunes is updated
- You have a Micro USB Cable
- Seas0nPass is downloaded: (Windows | Mac)
- No other iOS devices are connected via USB.
- You have your Apple TV remote control handy.
- The AppleTV is not connected via USB or Power.
This first part of this guide assumes you guide you have a non-jailbroken Apple TV. If your Apple TV is already jailbroken and you just wish to install XBMC skip below.
To Jailbreak your Apple TV:
- Extract Seas0nPass to a folder and Run it.
- Click Create IPSW
- This will Download the newest version of the AppleTV software directly from Apple. Seas0nPass will then add the jailbreaking changes to the file.
- Connect your Apple TV to your Computer via USB. Do not plug it in to an A/C outlet.
- Put the device into DFU mode using the remote, press and hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE keys for about 7 seconds and release
- Once Seas0nPass detects the device is in DFU mode, it will open up iTunes.
- If using a Mac, Alt-Click in iTunes on the Restore file and select the newly made IPSW file. — Thanks Raphael!
- If using Windows, Select the Apple TV on the left menu. Shift-Click restore and select the IPSW file located in My Documents\Seas0nPass
- Once Complete, The AppleTV is Jailbroken. Congrats!!
- Unplug from your computer and connect to TV. You should see a new Seas0nPass Menu
Install XBMX by doing the following:
To install the Cydia build:
- Open up your terminal/ssh application and enter the following command to log in to your ATV2:
- You will be asked for a password: default password is alpine
- Continue to enter the following commands:
- Issue these commands in your Terminal window, in sequence:
apt-get install wget
wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
- Once the install is done, we need to install the latest nightly build as it fixes lots of bugs that the initial official build does not. It’s also required for the newest version of iOS.
- Find the latest version of the daily at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/
- Run the following commands
- wget http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/<latest .deb file from above>
- dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
- rm latest_atv2.deb
- This will download and upgrade the install to the latest semi-nightly build. This is required for the newer versions of the iOS software
- Now you have your XBMC installed on your Apple TV 2
Once installed, XBMC will be available as another item under FrontRow, the name for the standard AppleTV software.
Many of Galaxy S II buyers who got their Mac OSx upgraded to the latest one (Lion), reported that Kies is not compatible with it.
Actually I was facing same problem and I got to know a way to fix this.
To tackle this, you can install an older version and then update it to the latest version. I have tested it works for this version: KiesMac_220.127.116.1155_7. Install it and then go to “Preference”->”Update” and update to the latest version
This a guranteed way to make Kies work on Mac OS Lion.
Give it a try!!
In one of our past posts we promised IT Professionals to have a review for “BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 Implementation Guide“.
As we were planning to go ahead with our Upgrade process using this book as a reference and as a road map for the upgrade.
First of all, we have to mention that the book is using a very easy and simple way to guide the reader to go through the installation processes. It’s so simple that if a normal guy with a minimum knowledge of Computer skills and Administration expressions, will manage to perfectly finalize the setup of Blackberry Enterprise Server Version 5.
The Book starts with summarizing the new features of the new version and the latest tools which helps the Administrator to lower down his headaches with the Administration tasks.
Now, all the IT Professionals who have experience with earlier versions of BES, know that there’s a list of services to be installed and found under Services. The book also is giving a list of the new services to be added to the earlier ones, so it’s easier for the installer to find out if the installation is done successfully.
Book afterwards will go in details for the prerequisites and how to achieve them, to ensure a smooth and successful installation process.
We were amazed by the way the Book is driving the installation process which ended up with a successful installation for BES version 5, of course some credits goes to us as well 😉
After installation the Book will be guiding through installing the extra maintenance updates, which are usually released by RIM when there’s a bug or improvement needed in their system.
Hooraaaaaay, now Server is up and running, so would the Book stop there and that’s it? Nope, it goes in details explaining the architecture of the BES and how it works, how it delivers message to Blackberry devices.
Many of us, who worked with the BES doesn’t know more technical details about the message sending and receiving process. But this book does it all, and it will not give up, until the reader is fully aware about his system, and has the full picture in his mind.
Do you have an earlier version of BES and wants to upgrade? no worries, because as we said the book has it all. At the final Chapter of the book it will be guiding you how to do such process from various versions as well.
Bottom line this book is a must have for all IT professionals who are planning to install BES in their environments, it’s very simple, not complicated at all, well organized, doesn’t have a lot of pages, has it all and the best thing it’s not expensive at all.
This is the link for the website: https://www.packtpub.com/blackberry-enterprise-server-5-implementation-guide/book if you are interested.