Posts tagged Apple TV 2
For the people who don’t know what’s ShareThe.TV, it’s basically an add on for XBMC Media Player which allows you to share your Movies collection with others on the internet, using a dedicated webpage as shown below:
In-order to add this add on on XBMC Eden, you need to do the following:
1- Go to http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/xbmc/addons/dharma/script.sharethetv/ and download the file.
2- You should transfer this zip file to your Apple TV 2 through SFTP and then you should install through this menu in XBMC:
System > Options > Add-Ons > Install from zip file
3- After installing it you’ll need to input your ShareThe account:
System > Options > Add-Ons > Activated add-ons > Program add-ons > ShareThe.TV
Now start sharing your own collection of movies and have fun!!
Since the first time heard about XBMC Media Player from many users who experienced it and said amazing things about it, I decided to get my self an Acer Revo device to be prepared as a Media Player as mentioned in this link. Which I believe is the best resource if you want to do the same.
Recently I’ve been reading a lot of good reviews about installing XBMC on Apple TV 2 after jailbreaking it.
Will, my experience with Apple TV 2 was really total different experience, since I noticed that it gives much better colors and better control since Apple Remote is utilized properly.
For installing XBMC I followed the below steps:
Jailbreak your Apple TV 2 by doing the following:
- iTunes is updated
- You have a Micro USB Cable
- Seas0nPass is downloaded: (Windows | Mac)
- No other iOS devices are connected via USB.
- You have your Apple TV remote control handy.
- The AppleTV is not connected via USB or Power.
This first part of this guide assumes you guide you have a non-jailbroken Apple TV. If your Apple TV is already jailbroken and you just wish to install XBMC skip below.
To Jailbreak your Apple TV:
- Extract Seas0nPass to a folder and Run it.
- Click Create IPSW
- This will Download the newest version of the AppleTV software directly from Apple. Seas0nPass will then add the jailbreaking changes to the file.
- Connect your Apple TV to your Computer via USB. Do not plug it in to an A/C outlet.
- Put the device into DFU mode using the remote, press and hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE keys for about 7 seconds and release
- Once Seas0nPass detects the device is in DFU mode, it will open up iTunes.
- If using a Mac, Alt-Click in iTunes on the Restore file and select the newly made IPSW file. — Thanks Raphael!
- If using Windows, Select the Apple TV on the left menu. Shift-Click restore and select the IPSW file located in My Documents\Seas0nPass
- Once Complete, The AppleTV is Jailbroken. Congrats!!
- Unplug from your computer and connect to TV. You should see a new Seas0nPass Menu
Install XBMX by doing the following:
To install the Cydia build:
- Open up your terminal/ssh application and enter the following command to log in to your ATV2:
- You will be asked for a password: default password is alpine
- Continue to enter the following commands:
- Issue these commands in your Terminal window, in sequence:
apt-get install wget
wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
- Once the install is done, we need to install the latest nightly build as it fixes lots of bugs that the initial official build does not. It’s also required for the newest version of iOS.
- Find the latest version of the daily at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/
- Run the following commands
- wget http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/<latest .deb file from above>
- dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
- rm latest_atv2.deb
- This will download and upgrade the install to the latest semi-nightly build. This is required for the newer versions of the iOS software
- Now you have your XBMC installed on your Apple TV 2
Once installed, XBMC will be available as another item under FrontRow, the name for the standard AppleTV software.