Apple announces next-generation MacBook Pro: Retina display, 0.71-inches thin, shipping today for $2,199
Apple announced some new MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros early in its WWDC keynote today, but it had another surprise in store for its big hardware announcement: the next-generation MacBook Pro. It packs a Retina display with a 2880 x 1800 resolution (or 220ppi), and a casing that measures just 0.71-inch thin and weighs 4.46 pounds. In addition to that high resolution, Apple is also promising higher contrast ratios, better viewing angles and reduced glare compared to other laptop displays, and it’s updated all of its stock apps to take advantage of those extra pixels, not to mention Aperture and Final Cut Pro — “reading your mail is like reading fine print,” according to Apple’s Phil Schiller. As for the other specs, you’ll get to 16GB of RAM, NVIDIA Kepler GT 650M graphics, up to a quad-core 2.7GHz Core i7 processor, a maximum 768GB of storage (SSD, naturally), and a promised seven hours of battery life with 30 days standby. One spec nowhere to be seen: an optical drive. Also on the outs are Ethernet and FireWire 800 ports, which you’ll now need an optional Thunderbolt adapter to use.
Making its debut on the laptop is a new, thinner MagSafe connector, as well as a new fan that’s said to be “nearly imperceptible” to the user. Pricing starts at $2,199 for a 2.3GHz unit with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage, and it’s shipping today. “It’s without doubt the very best computer that we’ve ever built,” says Schiller.
- iOS 7 Problems – iCloud
- Apple reveals iOS 7… Bring it on Android
- Happening Now… Apple Event – iPhone 5S revealed!!
- Happening Now… Apple Event – iPhone 5C revealed!!
- Apple’s iCloud services including iMessage is returned to normal after short outage.
- The iOS 6 Features everybody’s keeping quite about!!!
- Apple officially gives Google Maps the boot, launches own Maps app with turn-by-turn navigation
- Apple unveils iOS 6 at WWDC, launch apps with Siri, Facebook integration, Maps
- Google Unveils Nexus Q Streaming Media Player
- Apple announces refreshed MacBook Air: Ivy Bridge processor, USB 3.0, shipping today