Apple unveils iOS 6 at WWDC, launch apps with Siri, Facebook integration, Maps
Looks like they didn’t print the banner out for nothing — as anticipated, it’s not just refreshed MacBook Airs or Mountain Lion getting the red carpet treatment at today’s World Wide Developer’s Conferencekeynote. Cupertino has also taken the shiny cling wrap off of the latest version of iOS. What’s new? Well at least 200 things! Most notably, Siri has gotten a little make over, including the ability to launch apps, more knowledge of sports, restaurants and movie times, it’s also coming to iPad. There’s better Facebook integration too, with photos, websites, maps and more getting the instant share option — you can even “like” or share app from the Appstore. Other tweaks on the phone side of things let you dismiss incoming calls with a swipe, or send a pre-written SMS, even set it to give you a reminder once you change location.
Another popular feature will include “Do Not Disturb” to hold off all those notifications (from your new Facebook friends, we guess). You’ll still get them, but the won’t alert, or light up the screen. Face-timers will also be pleased to see that feature finally working over cellular. Sharing images also just got easier with shared Photo Streams — choose the pictures, choose the friends. Done. New “Guided Access” allows parents or teachers (for example) to keep users from exiting an app accidentally (or in the case of the teachers — intentionally!).
- iOS 7 Problems – iCloud
- Apple reveals iOS 7… Bring it on Android
- Happening Now… Apple Event – iPhone 5S revealed!!
- Happening Now… Apple Event – iPhone 5C revealed!!
- Apple’s iCloud services including iMessage is returned to normal after short outage.
- The iOS 6 Features everybody’s keeping quite about!!!
- Apple officially gives Google Maps the boot, launches own Maps app with turn-by-turn navigation
- Google Unveils Nexus Q Streaming Media Player
- Apple announces refreshed MacBook Air: Ivy Bridge processor, USB 3.0, shipping today
- Apple announces next-generation MacBook Pro: Retina display, 0.71-inches thin, shipping today for $2,199